Currently in its fourth year of support from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, the SFA MST Academy has focused on the development of master science and mathematics teachers through:
- the redesign of the master's degree in natural sciences to include a mathematics/mathematics education and science/science education option;
- pedagogical-based mathematics and science curricula with courses chosen to meet the needs of teachers of dual-credit and community college courses;
- the flexible scheduling of coursework designed to accommodate teachers' busy schedules; and
- the incorporation of active research projects into master teacher preparation to encourage individual examination of teaching strategies and evaluation techniques.
To view our recent MSTTPA Graduates
- More than 20 SFA STEM and education faculty participated in the preparation of master mathematics and master science teachers through the MST Academy.
- Innovative curriculum was designed specific to master teacher preparation in science and mathematics
- that includes preparation for AP and dual-credit instruction and places emphasis on the College and Career Readiness Standards.
- SFA MST Academy Master Teachers Paula Kent (science) and Marcie Splann (mathematics) developed study guides and currently provide leadership and instruction for teachers preparing for MST/MMT exams.
- The SFA MST and NSF-funded Texas Leadership Initiative: Mathematics Instruction Transformed (Texas LIMIT) and Talented Teachers in Training for Texas (T4) unite Master Teachers with STEM majors in job shadowing opportunities.
- The SFA MST Master Teachers will assist SFA STEM faculty in the preparation and delivery of STEM summer camps for students in grades 4 - 8 and SMASH Camp a week-long preparatory experience for incoming SFA freshmen.