The primary objective of the SFA STEM Academy is to engage academically capable high school students in real-world, problem-based, integrated research/field experiences where science and mathematics are brought to life. Students will be involved in challenging experiences/investigations and coursework designed to deepen their academic and analytical skills. This program allows students to earn a STEM endorsement and distinguished high school diploma. The main components of this program are:
- Additional STEM elective courses taught on the LHS campus
- Laboratory/field experiences with SFA faculty, on the SFA campus or in the field
- Rigorous academic program with expectation of earning college credits
- Supportive cohort structure
- Exposure to STEM careers through field trips and visits with STEM professionals
Students must apply for admission into this program before beginning ninth grade. The application period for the 2017-2018 school year starts February 16 and ends April 28. Deadline for submitting applications is March 3. Please contact STEMcenter@sfasu.edu or Suzanne Jungmann, LISD STEM Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.